The Mind’s Eye now has internship opportunities for young adults with an interest in online and print media, publishing, editing, journalism, graphic design and marketing.
Internships are three months long and once complete can be repeated.
To be a successful intern you must:
- be able to commit 5 hours a week for three months
- be interested in building your resume, portfolio or skills in publishing, editing, journalism, graphic design, marketing or online media
- be prepared to take on a leadership role and work cooperatively with a team
Interns will help direct the operation of the newspaper and be directly involved in the production of the monthly newspaper.
What you get:
- Hands-on work experience relevant to the modern job market
- published work for your portfolio
- opportunity to build leadership skills
- a letter of reference
- opportunity to directly impact the community through journalism, art, creative writing or design
The Mind’s Eye was first launched in 1998 by Nanaimo Youth Services with the express purpose of providing youth in Nanaimo with a stronger voice within the greater community.
The paper is a public forum and training ground open to all youth between the ages of 13 and 25. Participation is, and always will be free and open. We are 100% non-denominational, non-partisan and not funded by advertising. Our focus and default setting is simply: youth. As the name suggests, for those involved, the Mind’s Eye is an exercise in imagination, envisioning the self and creating the future. As such, it is also an exercise in democracy and empowered citizenship.
The internship program can be adapted to your needs so if you know what you want to learn, send your resume and an email to email@example.com stating:
- what you’ll bring to the Mind’s Eye
- what you hope to get out of the experience
- what you hope to learn
- what you want to achieve in the future
- your three favourite publications