For this cookie, there are many shapes and sizes. You can make gingerbread men, women, trees, candy canes and ornaments. You can add sprinkles or icing and put food colouring in the icing to change it to the colour of your choice.
2- 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup molasses
1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, grounded ginger, grounded cloves, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter, molasses and egg.
- After mixing the dry and wet ingredients together, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- On a floured surface take half the dough and roll about 1/8 inch thick.
- Make sure your cookie cutters are floured so the dough won’t stick.
- Cut the dough into different shapes. Then re-roll what is left of the dough and cut again. Do the same for the other half.
- Use a metal spatula to place the shapes onto a greased cookie sheet, ½ inch apart.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 8 minutes or until very light brown.
- Let the cookies cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Decorate any way you like.
– By Raymond